Monday, January 31, 2011

My Strawberry Chocolate raw tarts


Here is my super simple, quick raw tart recipe. I love raw desserts because they are super healthy, and just as satisfying than the regular sugar-laden baked kind. Actually, I would say they are more satisfying because you still feel great after eating them.No sugar hangover, yay!


Makes 6-7 tarts
Time: 30 mins or less

Ingredients:
1 1/2 c. dates
1 1/2 c. raw nut of your choice. (I like to use walnuts)
1 Tbsp raw coconut butter/oil (optional)
1 1/2-2 ripe avocados
1 c. frozen or fresh strawberries
5 Tbsp raw agave, divided
4 Tbsp cacao powder

Tools:
food processor
plastic wrap
muffin tin

Start by placing the nuts and dates in a food processor on high. Blend until coarsely ground. you want the mixture to form a "dough". Squeeze a bit between your fingers. If it sticks together easily, it's ready. If it isn't quite sticking together, you can add a Tbsp of raw coconut butter/oil, or you can add a few more dates. Pulse until the mixtures holds together easily. This will vary depending on what kind of dates and nuts you are using.

to prep your muffin tin, drape a sheet of plastic wrap over top. This makes the tarts super easy to get out of the tin and still hold their shape. Divide the mixture equally between 6-7 muffin holes on top of the plastic wrap. this is where your hands get a bit dirty, so roll up your sleeves! Using your fingers, press the mixture into the tin so it forms a crust. You want it to go all the way to the top of the muffin hole. Basically, just make it look like a tart.

Once your finished that, throw the strawberries and 2 Tbsp agave into the food processor. no need to wash it in between jobs. Pulse until it is smooth. Put a spoonful of this into each tart shell.

For the chocolate, combine the avocados, cacao powder and agave. I use 3 Tbsp agave, but you might need more. I find it changes every time I make these. Process until smooth. Put a spoonful of the chocolate mixture on top of the strawberries in each tart shell.

If you are using fresh strawberries, garnish each tart with half a strawberry.

I hope you all enjoy! Let me know what you think.

hugs and veggies!
-Deni

1 comment:

  1. yay for dates! I noticed you used them in these little delectables. I will have to try these soon! I bet they would be a hit at a dinner party too. Were they delicious??

    ReplyDelete