Monday, January 31, 2011

Days 7-9. Plus 4 new yummy recipes.



The weather is crazy here! I could barely see out my window this morning for the snow! It's died down a bit now, but look at all of the pretty snow!

I've been a bit of slacker the last couple days. I haven't blogged in a couple days, and yesterday wasn't the most cleansing day. Oh well, I still followed the rules- no gluten, sugar, coffee or animal products (that part's easy since I'm vegan), but I haven't made the healthiest choices and I haven't been eating enough raw food!

Day seven was my juice fast day, but it's really more like a juice FEAST day. I think it went really well for my first fast. I thought I would feel uber hungry all day and be miserable, but I felt fine and I didn't really notice a difference in my energy level. I did feel really cold though and I had trouble warming up. It was definitely below zero that day, and the bookstore where i work is freezing! I wish I had a mini space heater to bring with me.

I had about 2 litres of green juice through out the day, and about 2 glasses of water. Even though I felt alright, I knew that I wasn't hydrated enough. Next time (day 14), I will drink more water, and maybe some tea to warm me up a bit. Around 6:30 pm I made a raw blended soup as suggested in "Crazy Sexy Diet" and I had about 3 spoonfuls, but I stopped because my stomach did not enjoy it. After about 25 hours of the juice and my three bites of raw soup, I had some grapes and went to bed.

Overall I really enjoyed the fasting day, and I'm looking forward to the next one. I think I might make 2 different kinds of green juice to drink throughout the day so I have some variation, and some tea to keep warm. Have any of you done a juice fast? What were your experiences? I"d love to hear form you!

I think I ate too much on day 8. In the morning I was super hungry, probably because I didn't have anything to eat the day before. I guess you have to take it slow the day after your juice fast. For breakfast I had some of yummy green juice (surprisingly not sick of this yet!) and about an hour later I had some of my Hall and Oatmeal. I didn't have any lemons that morning so I used half an orange instead. Tasty! I'm going to do that again.

As I've mentioned before, I have a lot of broccoli in my fridge because of all the stems I need! I wish I could buy a beg of stems instead. But I ended up making a yummy marinated Asian broccoli salad for lunch.



Marinated Asian Broccoli Salad:

Serves 1-2

1 head broccoli, chopped
1 cup shitake mushrooms, sliced with stems removed
1/4 red onion, sliced into half or quarter moons

Marinade:
no measurements here, folks. I just threw everything together in a bowl.
-olive oil
-apple cider vinegar
-sesame oil
-braggs liquid aminos
-1 clove garlic, grated
-pinch of sea salt
- juice from half an orange

whisk ingredients together and pour over the veggies. let sit for about 30 minutes. drain off remaining marinade, and save for another salad, a dressing, or a marinade for tofu. yum!

For dinner, I made some raw vegan "chicken salad". this recipe is inspired by Averie's Chicken salad from loveveggiesandyoga.com

you will miss not miss the mayo or chicken in this baby. I promise.



Raw, Vegan Picnic Chicken Salad

Serves 2

1/2 c raw almonds, soaked for a few hours
1/2 c raw cashews, soaked for a few hours
3 tbs pineapple juice
1/8 c water
drizzle of agave
lots of fresh black pepper

Throw all ingredients into a food processor and blend until creamy, but still a bit chunky.
I then added in:
1/4 c cucumber, finely diced
1/4 c carrot, finely diced
1/4 c celery, finely diced

Stir these in by hand. These are the veggies I used to like in chicken salad when I ate the real thing, but you can add in whatever you like.
Serve this however you would eat chicken salad- on top of a salad, on a sandwich, in a lettuce wrap, or on it's own. It's all good!

Day nine was a day full of rice-paper spring rolls. I don't eat these very often, but when I do, I love them! I had them for lunch AND dinner. Not so healthy, I know. these little wraps are made from white rice. But I made a lot, and they had to be eaten. The dogs offered to eat them for us, but we said no.

For the rolls, I made this amazing Maple Thai sauce. You have to try this! no Jokes. I wanted to eat it with a spoon.


Maple Thai Peanut Sauce

makes about 1 cup of sauce

1c. all natural chunky peanut butter (make sure the ingredients just say peanuts. no oil, sugar or salt added)
2-3 tbs sesame oil
1 tbs olive oil
1/2 inch piece of ginger, grated
1 clove garlic, grated
juice from 1/2 lime
2-3 tbs pure maple syrup
1/2 tsp cayenne (or to taste. this stuff is spicy! wow!)

just mix it together in a bowl. No need to bring out the blender for this one.
We also had a salad with romaine, red cabbage, tomatoes, carrot and tofu, and I came up with a new dressing!



Tahini Lime Dressing:

Makes enough for one big salad for 2

1/2 c raw tahini
2 tbs olive oil
juice from 1 lime
handful of fresh cilantro
splash of water to thin it out

Combine ingredients in a blender.


Stefan and I had a nice dinner night in. I made the food, and he picked the music- frank sinatra! Overall it was a good night.


what a model.

Wishing you a great weekend!
-Deni

No comments:

Post a Comment