Monday, January 31, 2011

I'm Back! with goodies!

Hi everyone!
Sorry I was missing for a while there. I went home to visit my mom and see her new house. We were busy most days, so I didn't get a chance to blog. The food wasn't too exciting. I still had my green juice everyday, didn't have any gluten, sugar or coffee, but I did have white rice. We were at the mall and the thai place was the only place I could get something that was vegan and gluten-free. I ended up having gluten the other day, just to test to see if I have a gluten intolerance. And I don't think I do. I'll admit that I do feel fuller (and not in a good way) and my stomach feels heavier when I eat regular bread and pasta, compared to the g-free stuff I've been eating. Maybe that is a sign of intolerance. I'm not sure. Does anyone know? Anyways, it's not that bad that I will avoid it completely, but maybe I will reduce it. I usually buy brown rice and quinoa pasta at the health food store and I can get it in bulk, and I've really come to like the brown rice bread. I found a brand I like.



I didn't write down everything I ate during my visit, but I assure you, it was cleanse approved :) I ended up making my mom my cauliflower quinoa curry and she liked it! She's not big on tofu, but I made it extra crispy for her. I also went to this amazing health food store! Next time I go (and not stuck taking the bus) I'm stocking up! Here are some of the goodies I picked up.




The all natural licorice was especially good. I love licorice, and this kind had NO sugar or corn syrup or any other funky stuff. It was sweetened with molasses and made with real raspberries. It was heaven. The chocolate covered Goji berries were also very good. I ate the whole bag to myself!

During the last couple days, I made aduki bean burgers





we had some with buns and some in lettuce wraps.

I also made a simple raw corn salad with tomato, bell pepper, red onion, garlic and a pinch of sea salt.


Another simple salad. Basically the same as this corn salad, but with spinach, mung bean sprouts, black beans, avacado, red pepper and some cumin on top. If you haven't noticed yet, cumin is one of my favourite spices. I like the smoky, spicy flavour it has, but it isn't so spicy that it burns.



For treats, I made raspberry scones from Babycakes!



This book is amazing. And now that I'm done the cleanse, I can start trying out the recipes. I will post them all too, because no herbivore should be without babycakes goodness. I was fortunate enough to try cookies from the babycakes bakery. My co-worker (who is also vegan) has a friend who started working at the babycakes location in LA, and she sent her some cookie sandwiches and brownies. Miranda, being the lovely girl that she is, brought me some! They were, hands down, the best cookies I've ever had! Including the non-vegan kind. They were two chocolate chip cookies stuff together with purple frosting. And the brownies were great too.

I will post these recipes asap. I'm also officially joining the gym tomorrow morning. I just made the appointment. Wish me luck!
-Deni
Have any of you had the pleasure of trying something from babycakes?

Have you used their cookbook?

No comments:

Post a Comment